Wednesday, September 18, 2013

First Week Back to School

Daniel and Anabella were Inchworms when they attended Daytime Playtime two days last year, on Mondays and Fridays from 9am-12pm.  This year, they are Busy Bees and attending three days, on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, from 9am-12pm.  Unlike last year, though, they are in two separate classes this time.

We attended orientation the Thursday after Labor Day, and they met their teachers. Orientation was a bit tricky with one parent and two different classes, but we managed fine. We started in Anabella's classroom simply because her teacher was unoccupied and greeted us first.

Ms. Erika, Anabella's teacher, is a mother of three boys, two school aged and an infant. As if that's not a job in and of itself, she's also going to school part-time for her Master's in Childhood Development and Elementary Education. Three part time jobs (preschool teacher, mom and student!).

Loved her! Seemed very sweet and caring.

We spent about 15 minutes in Anabella's class before walking over to Daniel's class (directly across the hall).  His teacher greeted us enthusiastically, and Daniel introduced himself as "Dan." (This seems to be what he likes going by these days- at least when he tells others his name- we still call him Daniel most of the time). There were some familiar faces in this room, as I recognized some kids (and parents) from last year. Lucy, a friend of Anabella's who attended her birthday party last year, was there with her mom. This was the class Anabella would have been in if we hadn't put them in separate classes.

Daniel's teacher is Ms. Gretchen. Ms. Gretchen is a little more seasoned than Ms. Erika. She has one daughter, school aged.  She lives on a farm in Warrenton with her two dogs, two guinea pigs and two Nigerian dwarf goats. She loves the outdoors and animals. And, preschoolers! Seems like a nice lady. I think Daniel will do well with her.

While they were both slightly reserved, wanting to hold my hand and making sure they stayed close, I was so impressed with how they handled going to separate classes. They seemed to be just fine with it. 

I had high hopes for their first day, Tuesday, September 10th, expecting them to adjust well to the transition.


Does that look like a boy ready for his first day as a Busy Bee?!


They enjoyed their favorite breakfast- Trader Joe's croissants (and grapes)
Daniel likes plain; Anabella likes chocolate.
Anabella's ready!
(Little Lamb rode to school but waited in the car- "yea yea,"
her little lovey, went along as well- in the backpack.)







Do you love the shirt he picked for his first day?
His favorite red car: Lightning McQueen!


If only I could have gotten a happy medium between the girl who was
dancing for her pictures on the first day and the boy who was running from
the camera!







Everyone was happy when we arrived at school, and nobody asked to be carried. They each held a hand and walked excitedly into the building. 

Since we went to Anbella's class first for orientation, we went to Daniel's class first on the first day.

Mr. Confidence walked in his classroom liked he owned the school!
He quickly let go of my hand, handed  Ms. Gretchen his backpack
(she explained where he should hang it- now he hangs it himself when he arrives)
and started in with the blocks she had put out for morning playtime. First,
he tried taking the bin of cars from the shelf, but she explained that she had already
chosen toys, so he put them back and played with what she had chosen.


I was so proud of how he made himself at home.
After stealing a hug and kiss,
I wished him a happy day and left him to his building!

Whew, one down and one to go.

Anabella showed a little more reservation as we walked across to her room, but, like Daniel, she did great!

After handing off her backpack to Ms. Erika, she picked her name from the bee tags on the table and added it to the beehive, as she was instructed to do during orientation. Daniel's teacher requests they hang their backpacks when they first arrive, while Anabella's requests that they choose their name and add it to the beehive.


After many hugs and lots of kisses (I didn't have to steal these),
I peeked back in both rooms before pulling down my
sunglasses and heading to the door. (I was happily
the only one teary this year!)
After school I picked up Anabella first since her door was open and Daniel's was still closed. She was ready with her backpack and greeted me with an enthusiastic, "MOMMY!" When I asked if she had fun, she replied, "I learned all about FALL!" Her teacher beamed and said she did great. She said they got a lot more accomplished than she expected on the first day. I took this as a good sign- must have had a cooperative group.

I think Anabella was so happy to tell me about fall because we've been talking about fall lately while reading Silly Sidney, a book about Sidney, a silly squirrel, who thinks he can keep summer around by taping, tacking, glueing, and using bubble gum to attach the fall leaves back on the trees- rationalizing that if the leaves don't fall, fall won't come- only a squirrel would want to stop fall! We have another book about the seasons and we've been talking about what kinds of things we do each season. Cute that she made the connection!

Next, we went to Daniel's room, where Daniel was eagerly waiting with his classmates, also wearing his backpack.  Anabella could hardly wait for Mommy to get her kiss before planting on one of her own. And, the sweet boy politely indulged his sister this time, rather than turning away like he sometimes does when his loving sister shows him affection. (Since then, this daily bear hug and kiss has become regular- LOVE IT!)

Daniel could hardly wait to tell me he went to the jumping room! He told me on the way to school that he couldn't wait to go to the jumping room (his favorite activity from last year). I told him I didn't know if his class would go today since it was nice outside (that's their bad weather recess activity usually reserved for winter or rainy days). He replied that it was hot. And, he was right. Tuesday was hot! And humid. Maybe that's why they did go to the jumping room after all.

Anabella's class went outside, so they didn't see each other like I thought they would.  But, the next two days both classes went outside and they did see one another.

Other tid-bits from our first day discussion:

  • When I started questioning them in the car, Anabella said she wanted to go back to school tomorrow. EVERY DAY, she said. I want to go to school EVERY DAY!
  • Daniel played Play-doh (made apples, he said).
  • Anabella had pretzels & carrots for snack.
  • Daniel had goldfish (each week one student is responsible for bringing snack for the class of 10- Daniel said he had "just one snack" after hearing Anabella talk about having two things- parents are supposed to bring at least 2 items, but my guess is his teacher gave them the choice of one or the other, while Anabella's teacher let them have both.
  • Anabella said they did NOT do the days of the week or the months of the year during Circle Time (As IF! Can you even believe it?! ha- she said it so AS IF-it was funny- and very Anabella like- who else would even know that's what they're supposed to do during Circle Time but the girl who practiced it all summer!)
  • Daniel said Cole (friend from last year) does not like Batman any more. Oh, what does he like, I asked. He likes Iron man.  (oh boy, now I need to figure out who Iron man is!)
  • Anabella said (when I asked) that her favorite friend was Lori.



Thursday was Show and Share.

Daniel took his Dinoco car.
He was planning to take his favorite airplane, but he changed his mind.

 Then, he was going to take Lightning McQueen, but
finally decided on Dinoco.



Anabella, naturally, wanted to take her "yea yea," (little elephant lovey).
She also took a picture of her dogs, and then at the last minute, decided
to take her doggy  purse, too. (It's a good thing they do Show and Share

every week- they will no doubt always have something to share!) 





Anabella's first week work

Daniel's fist week work
I'm so glad they both had such a good first week!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like they have so much fun. Makes me feel a bit guilty about keeping Caleb at home!

    ReplyDelete