Thursday, July 16, 2015

June: Skyline Drive

Daniel and Anabella attended VBS at our church the first week PWC schools were out for summer. The theme was Everest, and Daniel talked all week about climbing. He carried around bungees and made ropes out of belts, basically anything he could get his hands on. At one point he was using the cord from his headphones and hanging it from the banister upstairs until I explained that that might not be the best choice since it might break. Soon after, I pulled the bungees from the garage and let him use those.

Needless to say, he was wanting to do some mountain climbing. He talked and talked about it, and kept asking "when we could go climbing."

While I hardly think the type of "hiking" we did on our trip to the Skyline Drive was the kind of "climbing" he was referring to, I think I can speak for all of us that we had a wonderful time doing it. Good idea, Dan Credle!




I love when they embrace like this. 

Almost as much as I love when they hold hands....(we didn't tell them to do this either).  Makes up for all those moments (more than these unfortunately) when they're bickering and picking at one another. Sigh. They do love each other. 





You know Daniel brought his "ropes"


Ewwwww, good thing he brought his ropes. He needed it to get over this tree! 


At the end of our hiking trail was this nice waterfall.
About a mile there, a mile back. Perfect distance for us. 











The video below shows how he used his "ropes":






Here's another use he found for it. 






After our 2 mile hike, we stopped in at Elkwallow picnic grounds and had a picnic. I made some chicken for us that morning.  By this time, it was probably 60 degrees, and the kids were complaining they were cold, so we didn't stay long after eating.

Strong boy really is doing some "climbing" here.....especially carrying that heavy chair! 




On the way home, we stopped in at a restaurant where I used to go as a kid- Brookside. We'd already had lunch, so we just ordered dessert. Anabella ate every bite of her chocolate cake (and it was a big piece let me tell ya). Daniel ate about half of his. Daddy gobbled up his cobbler and I devoured about half of my slice of peanut butter pie, saving the other half for later, of course! Yummy way to end a fun family day!




No comments:

Post a Comment