Saturday, September 10, 2016

Back to School

I still have several summer posts to catch up on, but here's back to school....before it's time for Halloween!

Postcards from their teachers inviting them to Open House the Thursday before school started.


Open House Day


Daniel got this from his teacher - confetti for night before school started. I'm still pulling stars from the lint vent in the dryer. 


First day of school
Good thing we did pictures early because while Dan picked this polo shirt the night before, just a few minutes after this picture was taken, he was complaining that is was "hot and uncomfortable." Since I didn't my first grader "hot and uncomfortable" on his first day of school, he ended up changing. See first day picture (take 2) below. 





There's never drama with these two. Do you like Anabella's vest? It wouldn't have been my pick, but these two are getting to "that" stage; what can I say? I was just happy she agreed to wear a dress, so I wasn't about to question the vest. She LOVES that vest. Wears it every chance she gets. And, with the denim shoes, it actually looked pretty stylish. Completely her pick. My suggestions were all turned down. :( Please don't let them grow up!! 




The twin boys who were our pool buddies this summer are at our bus stop this year. Yay! There's another family who moved in over the summer who is also there. They didn't ride the first day though.  

Chip went to Open House but skipped the morning of first grade this year, so it was nice to have new friends at the bus stop to get pictures of the three of us (excuse me, four. Mr. Solomon made this picture, too). It was my first day, too. I accepted another long term preschool opportunity two days a week, Mondays & Wednesdays. My kids didn't start until Wednesday though, so I was able to put the kids on the bus before I had to leave. The rest of the year (until they hire a teacher) they will go to Walker & Kendall's house (our bus stop friends from last year whose mom decided to home school this year). They're only there a half hour, but the kids are excited to see their friends and I'm happy to have someone trustworthy to help out on these two days. I'm back in the afternoon to pick them up. 

I LOVE when they spontaneously hold hands. Happens once or twice a year or so. I never mention it (for fear they'll let go), but I always try to get a picture (or two or three - before they let go!!). 



Kindergartners get on first, so here they are letting their buddies have their moment. 

I didn't tell them to hold back, but I think they knew Ms. Becky was recording so they very politely let them get on before going to the bus. 


The first five rows are reserved for K/1st grade, so that's comforting. Considering the school is right across the street, it's not like they're on there very long anyway. But, it's still comforting. And, yes, I got teary watching the bus pull away again this year. I think I probably always will. 

I didn't get pictures of them when they got home on their first day, but they were both happy and reported "good" days. Dan was super excited about this "binder." This is the picture he colored to slide in the front of it. Last year they used folders for school/home communication, but this year the school provided binders. 


Last year I think I got pictures of them almost every day at the bus stop, but this year I was too busy gabbing. Here they are one day getting on....the two girls in front of them are our new neighbors from Missouri. The girl is in K and her sister is 3rd. Dan and Belle are so sweet, always letting everyone else get on first. 



Chip sent me a text one morning right as we were walking out the door requesting a picture. Here they are on week 2! 

This new app the school is using called ClassDojo is like a facebook for their class. The teachers post pictures, send messages to parents. It's awesome. As a teacher I could see it being that "one more thing" but as a parent, I absolutely love it. 

Can you spot our family?

In another post, Anabella's teacher explained that the class read the book "Caps for Sale". Then, they each created their own cap (the cap Dan made is above). Belle brought hers home on Friday and I haven't gotten a picture of it yet. 

At any point during the day, I can check their "report" and see how their days are going. So far they've all been positive. Belle almost always gets points for being some kind of "helper."

So proud of Dan - a point for "being kind"!

We celebrated the final day of the first week of school with one last trip to the pool. We were the only ones there for the first half hour or so, and then a friend from Dan's class from last year arrived. 




Fabulous first two weeks of school....and looking forward to a great year as big first graders!!

No comments:

Post a Comment