| Chip and Dan met his parents at Busch Gardens on Wednesday, but ended up returning later that night (more on that below). |
| We went to McKay's used bookstore and got Anabella some more Magic Tree House books since that's her favorite right now. |
We went to the waiting room about 7:55 and the doctor came out about 10 minutes later saying he was done; she was awake and in recovery.
Say what?!
Five minutes later, we were with her in recovery.
She was a little nervous so there were a few tears, but overall she did well. She's a feisty patient though. She settled down as soon as we got in the car to drive home but boy was she ever ready to get out of the hospital. It was a Fairfax Inova Surgery Center beside Fair Oaks hospital, where the twins were born.
That first day she didn't seem to be in any pain at all. In fact, she kept wanting to eat, but we made her stick to liquids and ice cream. She had her fair share of chocolate and sherbet.
That evening Maw and Granny came to visit and brought her some get well balloons and stuff to keep her company while she recovered.
So she did great Monday and Tuesday. So great that she decided to have a friend from Awana over on Wednesday for a play date while the boys headed to Williamsburg to Busch Gardens. Seemed like a fine idea at the time because she was recovering so well and was starting to get bored lying around resting. I don't think what happened that night had anything necessarily to do with the playdate, but after her friend left, Anabella was pretty worn out and said her throat hurt really bad (until then she hadn't complained hardly at all about the pain).
Anyway, afterwards it was about 5pm or so and she was pretty much falling asleep as I'd given her some Tylenol with codeine for the pain, which made her drowsy. I was trying to keep her up because I didn't want her falling asleep at 5pm. I told her to get us a game, and next thing I knew she returned with the game and had blood dripping from her mouth!
Yep, she was that 3%. The ENT had mentioned bleeding occurs after this surgery but only about 3% of the time. Well, wouldn't you know, she was one of those three.
I acted quickly and got her a towel. The blood was literally dripping from her mouth. Scary scary. I remembered the nurse at my school telling me this happened to her son, (he was asleep on the couch and woke up in a pool of blood). I hated hearing that story because of course it scared me worrying that it might happen to Belle (which is why she was sleeping in our bed all week), but I'm glad she told me so that I knew immediately what to do. Not that I wouldn't have known anyway.
To the ER we went!
They saw her immediately and we were in a room with a doctor within 10 minutes of our arrival. But by then it had stopped, and we were released about an hour later.
Followed up with ENT the next day, and he said it was "just" the passing of a clot. What probably seemed like a lot of blood to me, he said, was probably not a lot to him. Um, no. He cuts tonsils for a living. I pass out when my son has a mole removed. ha!
Anyway, she was fine after that. No more scares. And, by Easter she was eating ham and turkey at Granny's like she'd never even had a surgery 6 days before.
The best news of all is that she's sleeping SO much better now!!
So, in a nutshell, that was our Spring Break.
Only one short post.
Easiest Spring Break blogging of the Credle Family yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment