Friday, September 14, 2012

Preschool Part 2

In my rush to pick them up from preschool, I didn't get to finish my narration.  Preschool ended at 11am today instead of noon since it was their first day. Parents could pick up as early as 10:45, so I had to be in the parking lot by 10:45!

I wanted to make sure Daniel and Anabella would be able to tell the teachers their names, so we practiced this week whenever we talked about school. I know they know their names, but I wanted to make sure they could say their first and last name when asked (as if the teacher didn't already know their names!). Anyhow, when we pulled into school today, as I was unbuckling Daniel from his car seat and telling him we were at school, he says, "My name's Dan."

That is when I knew I was going to break my "I'm not going to cry" pledge.

Both Daniel and Anabella walked confidently (no tears) into school with their backpacks, despite Anabella telling me "somebody crying" as she heard a little girl crying in the parking lot. They walked confidently into their classroom, despite two kids already there in tears.

Make that four in the classroom in tears, as I left my preschoolers with their teachers, and I walked out in sunglasses.

No tears from my cuties upon pick-up (though there was a little girl in their classroom crying pretty hysterically- I am sure she hadn't cried the entire time though as they said they'd call parents after a half hour of unhappiness- less if you told them to).

Daniel spotted me as I opened the door and came running!

He yelled, "Mommy" and came running into my arms for a Dan Credle hug.  Right away, he pointed to the door and told me, "I played outside."  Then, he needed me to put him back down, and he very quickly ran to the table where he must have been sitting doing a puzzle.

That is when Anabella first saw me- she and another little girl- later she tried to tell me her name but I can't quite understand her- which is unusual because Anabella's speech is very clear- I wonder if maybe she doesn't know her name. Anyway, she and this little girl were doing puzzles together.



Daniel sat on the other end of the table, so I'm guessing he was doing this puzzle before I came in. I am happy they weren't sitting together. I did mention to the teacher at orientation that I would like them in different groups, if that was ever a possibility. The fact that they play together is instinctual and not something I want to change by any means at all, but I do want them to interact with others as well.

Seeing them doing the same activity at different locations at the table made me happy!

And they seemed happy, too, which made me even happier.

Then, when I asked one of the assistants how they were, she said, "Oh, are the twins yours? Oh my gosh, they were perfect!"

My happiness turned to elation!

I don't think I've described them as "perfect" since the day they were born (though in my eyes they always are and always will be), but to hear them described that way just made my day (and made me wonder if I was picking up the right twins, and then I remembered they are the only set of twins in their class)! (I did cringe slightly at the "twins" label, but I'm not about to let that ruin the compliment. They are, in fact, twins. I do know some twin moms that go ballistic over that. I am not one of those moms. But, I did file it.)

When we said good-bye to their teacher, Ms. Belinda (who was trying to say good-bye to everyone while holding the little girl who must have been unhappy that her Mommy or Daddy was not there yet), she said they really enjoyed "Wheels on the Bus," and sang right along. I couldn't believe she managed to say that, given the girl was screaming in her ear.  (All teachers should be paid more, especially preschool teachers!)



Dan (apparently he prefers this to Daniel as he told me when we arrived that his name was "Dan") arrived to school in his jacket, and despite the fact that I tried to convince him otherwise, he left school in his jacket.

They both said they liked school.

They had goldfish and applesauce for snack.

"Yum, it good," said Anabella.

No comments:

Post a Comment