This morning Anabella and Daniel started preschool at Daytime Playtime in Haymarket. They were very excited about carrying their new backpacks. Anabella's backpack is pink with an owl on the front. Daniel has a spiderman backpack. Each of them picked out their own backpacks. I have to return the two rejects.
The first two backpacks were from Gymboree. Anabella didn't have any to choose from since the only ones they had left were pink owls. This suited her fine because her favorite color is pink. Daniel chose the blue doggie backpack over the orange dinosaur backpack because his favorite color is blue. Only, he never really liked this backpack. The morning after getting the backpacks, Anabella couldn't wait to put hers on and fill it with random stuff (as she does her purses). Daniel tried on his backpack and then threw it down and carried his Curious George backpack instead. He said, "I not like that backpack."
Then, we went to Granny's, and he found Bailey's old Bob the Builder backpack and wore that all day. Mom said he preferred the Bob the Builder one because he liked the zipper. Sure enough, he liked the zipper. So, we went to Kohls (because I had 30% off coupon and you have to go to Kohls when you have a 30% coupon!) in search of a backpack with a zipper.
Mom, Granny, Anabella, Daniel and I piled in the van (yes, we bought a van- a silver Toyota Sienna with surround sound and a sunroof- I put up the sunroof and blare the music every time we get in- and with a push of a button open and close the doors- I very quickly got over the van stigma and LOVE THE VAN...heehee!!). Anyway, off to Kohls....
Mom stayed in the van until Daniel woke up and then joined us in a wheelchair. It was her first trip outside of the house for anything besides a doctor visit in 3 weeks since her achilles tendon surgery. She was resistant to the wheelchair at first, but once she got in the store and was able to watch Daniel parade around with his Spiderman backpack (3 sizes bigger than him) and carrying a Spiderman football (a gift Granny let him pick out) and Anabella proudly carrying her new purse (filled with fingernail polish and lip gloss inside- which Granny let her open on the way home- just the lip gloss not the fingernail polish), I think she was happy she came!
Needless to say, Anabella wanted "two" backpacks too; so, I bought her a princess backpack the same 3 sizes too big as Daniel's. Once we got in the car, and then later at home, they each chose their backpacks- Anabella's owl backpack from Gymboree is perfect for Anabella. And, Daniel's Spiderman backpack from Kohls is perfect for Daniel! They are happy. I am happy. I will return the other two.
Another short story, since I am here at Haymarket McDonalds waiting for them to finish school with nothing else to do anyway (as if I don't have a few hundred other things to do at home- which is why I'm at McDonalds).
Daniel has been carrying this "monster book" around all week. He even took it to Granny's house on Wednesday (and remembered to bring it back home!). Yesterday he asked me where it was. When he found it, he brought it to me and said, "this my favorite book!" Talk about making Mommy's heart melt! One because he told me something was his favorite completely unprompted. Two because it's a BOOK! And three because this book was one of my favorites!!! And still is. Now it will forever be.
Is that the sign of a boy ready for preschool, or what?!
Anabella loves schoolwork. I tutor two students in the afternoon now at our house. Anabella likes to accompany us into the office instead of playing outside with Daniel and her Daddy. She sits for the entire time (there hasn't been much homework yet since it's beginning of year- soon she won't be allowed to do this). She brings her crayons, notebook, and this past week, her school folder and backpack. She sits on the floor with us and imitates everything the 2nd and 3rd graders (brother and sister) do.
Is that the sign of a girl ready for preschool, or what?!
Off to preschool.....
Daniel wore his favorite shirt- an Old Navy football jersey. He wanted to wear his navy Tommy Hillfiger athletic shorts (a hand-me-down from Bailey who is now in middle school!), but I did want him to match for his first day. Anabella wore her favorite pink dress.
I think it's funny that they pulled out these wedges from the office, which were worth every bit of the $5.00 I paid for the pair at a yard sale last spring. These wedges have provided an endless amount of entertainment for them, serving as everything from a car ramp to a climbing mat, and now they are used as pillows for reading time for our 2 little friends who come over after school. And, apparently, they make good photo props as well!
Speaking of photo props....last weekend when the Credles were here, we rode by Daytime Playtime so they could see Anabella and Daniel's preschool. My ulterior motive in making the suggestion we take this ride was to get pictures of them by the sign, which I knew was by the road and would be hard for me to get to on the first day.
It had rained a lot that week, and during one of our many quests to find the best prices on school supplies (yes, they had a school supply list- can you believe it?), we had to buy umbrellas. Since it had rained the evening we took our ride to the school, we let them carry their new umbrellas.
I noticed when I dropped them off today, they had updated their sign. Daytime Playtime moved locations this summer, and now they are in a larger building, but it lacks the character the old house had in historic Haymarket. It does have more space though, so that's a good tradeoff.
Here's the new sign:
And now it's time for me to go pick up my preschoolers....

No comments:
Post a Comment