Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Lake Gaston

The second week in August, we took our annual trip to Lake Gaston. This was our third trip to the lake. We stay in my Uncle Greg and Aunt Julie's vacation home, twenty minutes from civilization by car and a perfect getaway for family fun and rest & relaxation (add to that great food and plenty of cold beverages, and it's a week in paradise!) Thanks, Greg and Julie, for letting us go again!

We try to plan it for the week of my mom's birthday, usually the second week in August. This has been our tradition since 2007, and it was the babies' first vacation in August of 2005, making this their third trip. (Adding some pictures from our 2010 and 2011 trips is on my list of things of do- along with 168 other things, so when D and A graduate high school, I might have it done.)


















We all couldn't wait to go to our favorite swimming spot and jump in the water! Daniel was a little timid about the "deep lake." He would look in the water from his safe spot on the boat and tell us "deep out there." Dad says he thinks too much. I agree, he's a little analytical like his mother. Needless to say, he didn't get in as much as his sister, who couldn't get in quickly enough when the boat stopped.  In fact, she soon became as brave as her cousins and began jumping in the water herself! Her jump was more like a dip with someone dropping her by the hands into the water, but it was a jump by 2 year old standards, that's for sure! Anabella liked climbing the ladder into the boat about as much, if not more, than the actual jump itself; so, it's hard to say which she really preferred.  But, she sure loved the water, that's for sure!






Daniel enjoyed spending his time snacking on the boat (he's his mama's boy, that's for sure!)

One of the nice things about the lake house is that there's a sandy "beach" leading up to to the water.  Daniel really enjoyed this "beach."  The second day at the lake, he was walking around singing, "I like this house, I like the beach, I like Hayden." It was sung in pure Dan Credle fashion, as if he was trying to convince himself that he would, in fact, "like" this vacation!!


















I love these pictures of Anabella. Her skinny little body, beautiful blond curls and that face! Does she look disgusted to be walking in the sand, or what?! She was quite prissy about it, wanting to clean off her hands if they got the slightest bit of sand on them. Though the water didn't seem to bother her at all; she much preferred that to the sandy beach, which her brother so loved! They may be twins, but they are as different as different can be!







Granny found some old fishing rods in the storage room on the dock, so Daniel and Anabella soon had their own fishing poles! And, we really need to take them fishing soon because they both loved it!












Before long, we had three professional fisherkids! Only, Daniel and Anabella weren't content to stay on the dock too long.  As much as I cringed at the idea, armed with their swim shoes and fishing poles in hand, they made their way into the murky water.....










 Anabella loved the water so much, she didn't want to get out for a boat ride! And, she loved boat rides!








A trip to Lake Gaston wouldn't be complete without a trip to the marina to feed the poor underfed fish!












And, once we fed the fish, we had to feed ourselves (which is what we do best at the lake!).







Ice cream for all!!

And then, thought Ryan, time for a NAP!!





Looks mighty restful....pre-Uncle Cliff! 







There aren't many pictures of Anabella with Mommy, mostly because she preferred just about everyone but me! Daniel, on the other hand, wanted to be with his Mommy both on and off the boat. On the boat, Mommy made a nice pillow.




Mommy's little boy was a sleepy little spiderman whenever the boat was in motion!




These next pictures are of Chip skiing. He is a master skier, starting out on two skis and finishing on one!!  







Ryan, Hayden and Allie each took their turn on the knee board. Did I try the knee board, you ask? Oh, please!!! I was on the boat cheering them on....Bud Light Lime in one hand and the video camera in the other (could be why the video is shaky....babies were napping so it was ok). 





















 Hayden was the other sleepyhead on the boat! I remember his first year at the lake when he wasn't quite a year old. He would fall asleep every time we went on a boat ride! This year, he played harder than everyone, so he deserved those boating naps!



Did I mention how much Anabella loved the water? Almost as much as her Daddy?!




These are the only pictures I have of my Mom and Dad from our trip. They only went out of the boat once or twice; Mom fell on her already hurt foot just prior to the trip, and she ruptured her achilles tendon. She's having surgery next week. You wouldn't have known it, other than the fact that she wore a boot all week and needed some help getting around. We covered her boot in a trash bag for the boat ride, and good thing we did! More water gets in the boat than you would think! Of course, kids getting in and out don't help.  Hurt foot and all, she was a trooper and still managed to have a good week! No kneeboarding, though. Dad neither, shown here with his coffee mug. Who takes a coffee mug on a boat ride? (Answer: only my Dad).  And, who made sure it made it back safely to the house? (Answer: only my Mom).






 These next few pictures are of Daniel enjoying his spin in the water. He didn't like the water much, so I tried to entice him by acting silly and turning him around and around, and around and around, and around and around, and around and around! Whew, no wonder I needed a few Bud Light Limes by afternoon!








I know I'm prejudiced, but Hayden and Ryan have to be THE cutest boys on this planet (next to Dan Credle)!



How did I get these great smiles, you ask? Bribery. Yes, bribery. I told the four cousins that if they smiled nicely while I got a few pictures, I would give them snacks! (I did not learn this from a book on good parenting). 


After thinking I had a few good pictures, I suggested they do a "silly" picture! Considering they are all "silly" to begin with, all the pictures turned out to be the silly ones! 








It was cute watching Daniel and Anabella imitate their older cousins, first by putting up their arms and then by sticking out their tongues!

The week after the lake, Anabella tells me that Allie is her favorite person. Favorite is a new word for both Anabella and Daniel. Each day they tell me their favorite color, as it changes daily, sometimes hourly, though most of the time Anabella's favorite is pink and Daniel's is blue (except when Anabella is wearing an orange shirt and Daniel is using a yellow marker). I'm trying to get them to name other favorites as well (favorite toy, favorite food, etc.)., so on this day I asked who their favorite person was, expecting, of course, to hear MOMMY! No. Anabella says, "My favorite person is Allie." Well, since then it's become a joke because I always say, "No, your favorite person is MOMMY!" In the video below, you'll see why Allie is her favorite persson- they speak the same language, apparently! (SO- Aunt Allie, watch your language!)

 



On our last night at the lake, we had our traditional bon fire. The kids all pretended to be Indians and marched around the bon fire, led by none other than Granny.  We roasted marshmallows, ate some Smores and celebrated another fun week at the lake!

P.S. Is it August 2013 yet? It soon will be! I wish my life, like these youtube videos, had a pause button. (I just might still be at the lake!)







No comments:

Post a Comment