For years (and I mean YEARS), Chip has been talking about wanting to "stop by" the Stonewall Jackson Shrine as we pass the sign on I-95N.
I am not kidding you, I bet he's mentioned it 100 times (ok, probably more). Every time we pass it- "There it is, Stonewall Jackson Shrine," he'll say, "one of these days we're going to stop there."
Sometimes I hear him say it in my sleep: "I've been saying for years I'm going to stop there. I really am one of these days."
Well, July 3, 2016 was the day.
We didn't know it when we left the peninsula early that Sunday morning, but we were making Credle Family history that day.
We were FINALLY stopping at the Stonewall Jackson Shrine.
 |
| Never mind that the kids were sleeping soundly in their seats and that there was NO TRAFFIC on I-95N, which is history in and of itself. |
 |
| Far from a history buff myself, I learned a lot about Stonewall Jackson that day. From what Chip explained to the kids and from our private tour through the house by the volunteer who told us all about Stonewall Jackson and his untimely death. |
 |
| The clock on the mantle is the original one that recorded his death. The blanket on the bed is also original as well as the bed itself. |
 |
| The bed where Stonewall spent his last six days after being shot by friendly fire. The ranger explained that he may have been sick before getting shot as he was reported not to have been himself. He died of infection from his amputated arm as well as pneumonia. |
 |
| We were inside the house about 15-20 minutes, and I was so impressed with how respectful and attentive the kids were. They were truly interested and intrigued. |
This was a really worthwhile educational experience both for the kids and us. I'm so glad that after years of talking about it, we finally did it. Talk about perfect timing, too. It was just the right opportunity to introduce the kids to some Civil War history without being too heavy for their little minds to wrap around (or too long a tour for them to lose interest). I hope it's something they remember, and I look forward to doing more historical trips with them in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment