Monday, February 6, 2012

The Super Bowl

I know you're laughing as you see the title Super Bowl, wondering what I could possibly write about the Super Bowl, when I don't know the slightest thing about football.  No worries, this post is not really about the Super Bowl.

It's just that the Super Bowl, like it or not, will always hold a special place in my heart. Not only because I love Velveeta and Rotel, but because in 2010 we had a  blizzard just before the Super Bowl.  The snow stopped on Saturday night.  On Super Bowl Sunday, Cliff insisted on digging out his truck, even though we knew we wouldn't be in school for probably a week.  "You never know," he said. Translated to mean I could go in labor.

I, on the other hand, was confident that this was not possible. I hadn't even packed my suitcase yet, as I was only 31 weeks; plus, I'd just been to my perinatologist  that Monday, and he said everything looked great and that this pregnancy could very well go to full term. No bed rest necessary. (I had been waiting for bed rest since week 12, so you can imagine my disappointment.)

Well, good thing he dug out the truck. Twelve hours following the kickoff of the 44th annual Super Bowl, we headed to Fair Oaks hospital, where we spent pretty much the rest of February and the first part of March.
(This story ends here, before it really starts, though this post did nearly turn into a play by play- no pun intended- of my birthing story.  Only it became too personal (not to mention long), so I will keep it and share it with the twins later.)
Instead, I'll share some photos from our 2011 Super Bowl.
45th Annual Super Bowl: Steelers vs. Green Bay



Last year Anabella and Daniel knew nothing about the Super Bowl. Now I'm not saying they understood this year either (though Cliff did say he thinks next year they will- heeeehee). But, unlike last year, they have come a long way in their understanding of sports, particularly football (they will soon catch up to their mommy!)  They can 1. Say football, 2. Pick out a football from group of balls, 3. Throw football, 4. Yell TOUCHDOWN!!!!

Learning the proper touchdown technique was like learning a lot of new things that get a big reaction. It was practiced, with the dedication that only toddlers can hold, until they were lifting their arms and yelling, "Touchdown," as if they've been waiting their whole lives (all 2 years) to be football fans! 




Turns out, the lil' touch downers, Inadvertently, gave me a great idea for the front of their birthday invite!


 The  nice thing about the invite is that I cut out their touch downing bodies so that you can't tell they were touch downing on the chair and highchair. But, as any football fan will tell you, when there's a touchdown, there's a touchdown, you're not always going to be in front of the TV.  

In the video above, Anabella gives you a performance of the touchdown mania we've been dealing with during the month of January. 

On Super Bowl Sunday we went to church and gave the twins their baths before their afternoon nap rather than in the evening like we usually do. Because they were going to just be lounging around the house, I dressed them in their Frosty PJs (since this appears to be the only way Frosty will get any movement in Virginia this winter).

After having their first taste of dip, Velveeta and Rotel, our Super Bowl staple, Daniel got out his football and showed off his skill.

Soon, Anabella joined him and we had our own mini Super Bowl.

I don't think Cliff was paying much attention, but I sure found our lil' touch downers entertaining.

Anabella thought Daniel wanted her ball, so she held onto it even when she was finished throwing it.

And, of course, the night wouldn't have been complete without a TOUCHDOWN!!

(I had to edit this post because none of the pictures were showing up- so all of the above has something missing, hope to update later.)







No comments:

Post a Comment