When Daniel and Anabella are home (and awake), and it's too quiet....I know they are up to something.
So, on Memorial Day, as I was unpacking our lunch from the park, they were supposed to be upstairs picking books to read before naptime.
Only I didn't hear them (I know what this sounds like as they do it every day).
"What are you doing up there," I asked. Knowing good and well that they weren't picking books.
"We're going to the beach," replied Daniel, as I started up the stairs.
I didn't hear water running, and I knew we didn't have any sand upstairs (I'm nuts but not that nuts), so I figured they must be putting on their swimsuits- they love picking out their clothes these days- and they have picked their swimsuits before, so that must be it....
But, when I arrived upstairs, they were not in their swimsuits.
They were applying sunscreen to their legs and feet.
They acted as if they saw nothing at all wrong with this.
"We're putting on sunscreen," Daniel said to me. Just as innocently as ever, as if he puts on his own sunscreen every day.
"We're going to the beach," Anabella chimed in. As if I should pack them up and drive straight for the shore.
And, while it didn't earn them a trip to the beach, it was pretty funny.
And, a learning experience. (They teach me something new every day.)
For me- don't leave the beach bag where little hands can wander- it was in the guest room packed and ready for what was supposed to be our weekend trip to the beach. I am just glad they recognized their OWN sunscreen (Water Babies) and didn't use my suntan oil, which I did still have in the bag from last year. Oh my. If sunscreen was hard to remove from carpet, can you imagine oil?
And, for them- only adults apply sunscreen.
My hunch is that they knew they shouldn't have been doing this. Kinda like the time Anabella wrote "her name" on the wall last year.
They knew, but curiosity got the best of them. I mean what 3 year old doesn't want to play with a little lotion (only this wasn't a little).
I did have to laugh. Chip came upstairs later, even after we cleaned up, and said it still smelled like sunscreen.
.....alas, good to know if I ever do need help getting them ready for the beach, they will be happy to oblige.
ha! Think again- then they won't want to!
Here are some other pictures from our Memorial Day at home (we did take a picnic to the park and dressed up in our red, white and blue):

No comments:
Post a Comment