Friday, March 14, 2014

Winter Wrap-up (please!!)

As usual, I have a ton of leftover pictures that didn't make any other posts this winter; and since I'm SO over winter at this point (even more so with the forecast for more snow tomorrow!), my hope is that by posting these winter WRAP-UP pictures, we can truly say good-bye to Frosty until next year, please! 

This is what you do in winter, right?




The video below is from December (I never had a chance to upload it). It's funny.  I captured it without them knowing from the balcony upstairs.  It gives you an idea of what kinds of things they do when they build their forts. This particular one was a boat.  


This was at a fun indoor park in Woodstock, when we went to see Aunt Allie at her new house in January.

Remember this bus from my posting back in 2011 when Hayden had his birthday party here?

Spiderman visited us and left his mark on this board, which Dan (a.k.a. Spiderman) hung on the front door for all to see.

Also hanging this winter: the letters Anabella traced at school.

I'm not quite sure what these were- they sure look like flowers, but for the life of me, I can't figure out now why they came home in winter? ????

Dan's gingerbread man apparently ran off but made his way home in January, along with this face he made with magazine cut outs.  I can't possibly keep all these "treasures," (shh, I do file them for a year, then sort through and pick a few favorites and sadly toss the rest- without letting them know, of course) so bear with me as I take pictures of them for the blog so that we'll always remember what cute little things they did in preschool.  
Anabella loves to have Shilee nap with her.
And, yes, even though they are now big 4 year olds, Anabella and Daniel both still take naps. Anywhere from an hour to two hours 1:30/2-3:30/4pm.  If we have a something special going on one day, then they're fine to skip them occasionally, but for the most part, they still need their naps.


We did get out at least once for some bike riding when there was no snow on the ground! 


Trying our her new fingernail polish

When it wasn't in the wash, Anabella wore this "cooseecoose" (a.k.a. Blue's Clues) gown EVERY night this winter.  

This little boy is just plain cute! Never still long enough for a picture that's not blurred!

Did I share a picture of the sparkling Frosty tree we had upstairs in January? 

Anyone else have children who hang upside down on couches? 
Two things funny about this picture (besides that they're upside down).
Can you guess what they are? Look closely (answer below).



No, it's not that they have their eyes closed!
1- Belle is wearing her red Christmas dress shoes
2- the way Dan has his foot propped up on his knee

3- what's not funny about it??! 

The girls working after school on homework.
S likes giving Anabella "homework" in her workbook and then "grading" it for her. 

Don't they look like they could be sisters? 

Someone likes to "decorate" her room. 

This was more decorating.
I think the fashionista might have a career in interior design; what do you think? 

And, then, there's SOL.
He knows he's not supposed to be on that couch! 
Handsome boy!

Do you notice that a certain someone never wears socks? Or clothes for that matter? She runs around all the time (yes, even in winter) in a leotard! She doesn't dress her babies either. She does not get this from her mother. I can assure you I do wear socks. And, I promise I do not run around in a leotard (I know you're glad.) 

Is that Spiderman getting tickled over there?
(notice he not only wears clothes, but slippers!) 


Quick, DAddy, he's making a run for it!

This was one of our first snows, early January. About a month before the big one. 

This is how we went sledding during the first snowstorm.
It's called exercise for Mommy (so she can get into her leotard). 





I don't know why Michael made it snow for Anabella's snow angel and not Daniel's. I can't figure out that google thing, it's totally random, but cool, nonetheless. 


This first snow was fun, and at the time, we had no idea we'd have like 10 MORE snow days this winter! 


Solomon & Shilee love lying in the sun that makes the office the warmest room in the house, even on (especially on!) the ridiculously cold days we've had this winter. One weekend morning it was 2 degrees in Gainesville when I checked my weather app.  2 degrees!! 






Who says you can't have a picnic in the winter?! 

Dan and Belle both love Velveeta & Rotel......can you guess what everyone is watching? (the Velveeta & Rotel being a huge hint here)

You guessed it: The Super Bowl!!
Oh gosh, I've already forgotten which teams were even playing.
Oh, that's right, I never knew to begin with!
I do enjoy the commercials, and if you've been reading this blog long, you know the importance of the Super Bowl for this family!! 

They didn't go to school enough in January and February to bring home any artwork for these frames, so I added the watercolors they painted at home. 


The princess in her bed....which she made herself. :) 

Dan made this birthday cake out of play doh.


This was the first time Anabella ever wrote her name (by herself- she knows how to spell it now) at home.  This is one of her "homework" books that she uses when S and S do their homework. If she loves homework when she really has homework as much as she loves her play homework, we'll be alright! I always tease S and S that when D and A do have homework, I'm calling them to help! 

They each took cupcakes to school on the 12th of February.  With the forecast, I kinda figured they wouldn't have school on their real birthday; and, sure enough, they didn't! 

You can't see very well from these pictures, but Anabella is putting in princess rings as toppers for her cupcakes while Daniel put Spiderman spin tops on his.  


I love to see them snuggling together in the morning (someone was being a stinker and tried to move when she saw the camera- got her anyway!).  

Can you say SILLY?!
Dan and Belle are SILLY!!




I told you she wears that gown ALL the time.
And, look, no socks.
If you've been to our house in the winter, I know your feet are cold just looking at those bare feet! 

Sorry for the blurred picture, but she gets mad when I take pictures (which sometimes I just have to do anyway- I don't want to ever forget the cute little things they do- I mean seriously sitting in the kitchen with her feet propped on her booster seat reading a book- she talks away and really does tell some good stories!)  I always try to video her, but she stops when she sees the camera (or phone).  I did get a short one one day- keep scrolling and you'll find it towards the end of this long winter post.....it was a looooonnnnngggg winter this year.....
Dan loves building with his lincoln logs. Look at the window he made!


One morning Anabella took it upon herself (after making her bed, which I did ask her to do) to organize the books on her bookshelf.  I was in the laundry room (a few feet away in the hallway) when Dan came to me excitedly, "Belle made a big fat mess in her room!!"
Boy, did she. 

She took out some books that she didn't want anymore. Mostly old books of mine which I guess didn't look interesting enough- one was an old favorite of my own- a Smurfs softcover book that was a little ragged around the edges.  

She put back a few before getting frustrated that they kept falling back down, and I helped her with the rest. I sent this picture to Mom and Dad as this is totally the type of thing I would have done as a kid. I loved to organize and re-decorate. Hmmm, some things don't change I guess.



This is a Daddy phone picture (you know these are often my favorites), and this is no exception! 

Now that's a real fort!
Interesting story about this box (you know how we love big boxes in this house). Just a few days ago when I'd finally had it with this box (it really was falling apart- I wasn't just being a mean controlling mommy trying to de-clutter) and put it out for recycling.  Actually Chip carried it out, but that's beside the point. Anyway, the next morning the box was gone.  That's the funny part. It disappeared! Where did it go? Was it the wind that carried it away? Did someone else see potential in our old worn down box and take it to their house from some fort building? How does a huge box just disappear like that?? The same way a plane does, I suppose. Seriously? 


Here's Anabella washing the dishes that came with her Easy Bake oven- preparing for her first cookie bake!











Yum!

Did you see the dog on the table while we were baking?
Are you glad she's found a proper home?


Some of Dan's February preschool projects

The turtle and dinosaur I get, but I have to say I was a little surprised when this came home- presidents in preschool? But, hey, he knew who they were! 

February was dental hygiene month. Dan and Belle were both super excited to tell us all about their visit from the dentist and which foods were and were not good for your teeth.  This was Anabella's toothbrush chart which we had to fill out for a week and then return for a special prize. If I'm correct, I believe the prize was a pot of gold with some skittles in it.  Seriously? No, maybe that was for St. Patrick's Day. Maybe she hasn't gotten the prize yet. 

I like Dan's tooth, and I especially like the way he wrote his name at the top!

Valentine flower from Belle

Valentines from Dan (isn't he doing great with his name- he wrote it himself on the love bug pictured on the right.

Working on birthday thank yous.

Doesn't she do a good job making her bed?

Hey, don't take a picture of me! 

Love this picture! Below you can get a glimpse of the "reading" I mentioned earlier  (and how difficult it is to record!)




Handsome boy in his batman belt, eh? It was his show and share for school this past Thursday. If you look closely, you'll see that Batman's boomerang is tucked carefully inside.  





I love that I'm ending the winter wrap-up with the kids climbing the rock wall at our playground on feet (which not too long ago they were climbing on their knees!!), in short sleeves!! Short sleeve shirts! Their favorite short sleeves I might add. Belle's favorite short sleeve dress she'd wear every day if I let her, the one she even wears in the winter (it is sweater material) with a sweater over it (not that she ever really leaves it on); and Dan in his favorite Nationals shirt. Both in their new clearance sneakers we'd just bought at Kohl's that day; I had a 30% coupon, and they had just marked down a ton of shoes. I managed to buy both pairs, with my coupon, for less than 20 bucks! Woohoo! Nothing like shopping Kohl's clearance with a 30% coupon!  Last year's sneakers were too tight, particularly so after Dan ran around in crocs all winter (and Anabella was barefoot)! His new ones are wide. And, I'm just hoping she'll keep hers on (with socks)!

More spring weather so we can get some exercise in those new sneakers again soon, PLEASE!!!!

1 comment:

  1. What an eclectic post! :) I always feel like I miss pics and try to figure out a topic for my blog just to get them up. You just went for it and put them all together and it turned out great.

    I like seeing the kids creativity especially. I am looking forward to Caleb bringing home artwork from preschool.

    ReplyDelete