Thursday, July 31, 2014

Vacation Bible School: Weird Animals

The week following the 4th, Anabella and Daniel participated in a week long morning (9-12:30am) bible school program held at the United Methodist Church in Gainesville. We visited this church while searching for a church home back when we first moved to Gainesville a few years ago (it's across the street from our neighborhood), and while we didn't feel led to worship there, I was glad the kids had the opportunity to participate in their VBS. The theme, Weird Animals, was the same theme our church used just the week before, only I was too late in registering them for our church's VBS.

The theme focused on how God filled the world with lots of crazy creatures- including us. We're all "weird" in our own way, but that's what makes us who we are, and God loves us all the same. The student leaders had printed on the back of their  t-shirts: "Wouldn't it be weirder if we were all the same?"

On the first day all the kids got t-shirts, a music CD with the songs they'd be learning for that week and a set of tags that had a picture of each "weird animal" they'd be learning about, along with the accompanying scripture.





Here's the info I pulled from the website with the Bible lesson for each day:


Day 1: Axl

Anabella brought home colored pictures of the creatures.
Meet Axl
  • Bible Point: Even when you’re
    left out...Jesus loves you!
  • Bible Verse: "I am with you
    always, even to the end of
    the age." (Matthew 28:20)
  • Bible Story: Jesus heals the
    lepers. (Luke 17:11-19)

Day 2: Fern 
Meet Fern

  • Bible Point: Even though you’re
    different...Jesus loves you!
  • Bible Verse: "For we are God’s
    masterpiece. He has created us
    anew in Christ Jesus."
    (Ephesians 2:10)
  • Bible Story: Jesus reaches
    out to a Samaritan woman.
    (John 4:1-30)

Day 3: Milton
She must have really liked Milton because we have two of him.

  • Bible Point: Even when you don't
    understand...Jesus loves you!
  • Bible Verse: "Do to others as you
    would like them to do to you."
    (Luke 6:31)
  • Bible Story: Jesus washes the
    disciples' feet. (John 13:1-17)

Day 4: Shred (not pictured)

  • Bible Point: Even though you
    do wrong...Jesus loves you!
  • Bible Verse: "God...loved us
    and sent his Son as a sacrifice
    to take away our sins."
    (1 John 4:10)
  • Bible Story: Jesus
    dies and comes
    back to life.
    (Luke 22:47–24:12)

Day 5: Iggy
Meet Iggy

  • Bible Point: Even when you're
    afraid...Jesus loves you!
  • Bible Verse: "Don’t be
    afraid...Take courage.
    I am here!" (Matthew 14:27)
  • Bible Story: Ananias bravely
    helps Saul. (Acts 9:1-19)

I love that this information was so accessible to parents (via the website but also on the tags and even as an app). And, I liked that the bible verses were easy to remember and recite. We got daily emails from the VBS director describing what they learned about that day, encouraging us to discuss it as a family at home. Talk about a home/school connection! They sure did nail that. In fact, the whole operation was quite remarkable. From the pink flamingos that were lined up along the sidewalk to the warm welcome we received that first day of registration when we picked up all their goodies, to the kind teachers and student leaders that greeted us every day with a smile, to the fantastic singing and chanting I heard upon picking them up from the sanctuary each day, this was one exceptionally run VBS.  

Here's the cute stuff they made:









These fireflies were really cool- they'll light back up if we put a glow stick in them.


Their class picture:

Not the best picture as the teacher and student helpers were cut off; Daniel is crouching down in the back (I'm sure he couldn't have been goofing off).  He made a friend the first day. His name was Ian. He had a mohawk. I knew as soon as I saw him that Dan would be friends with him. I could tell by the twinkle in his eye (and somehow by the fact that he had a mohawk- listen to me being judgmental in a post about VBS- will someone send me next year, please?!). Sure enough, the first day I picked them up Dan said he made a friend. "His name is Ian. He has a mohawk; mommy, can I get a mohawk?"  

They both really enjoyed VBS and seemed to get a lot out of it. A few times since, when we ride by the church (which we do every day), one of them will ask if they can go back to bible school again. Now that makes me smile. :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment