My Uncle Greg raises chickens on his farm, so he has a lot of extra eggs. He doesn't sell them, just gives them to family and friends. He brings a lot to Granny because she uses them for Sunday morning breakfasts (a Sunday morning tradition for her sons and anyone else who wants to come- good ol' country breakfast with all the fixins').
Besides using them for Sunday breakfasts, Granny makes it her job to be sure everyone in her family has a plentiful supply of eggs.
You go to visit Granny in egg laying months (spring/summer) and you are sure to leave with eggs.
It's quite comical actually.
"You need eggs," she says as you're about to leave. Only it's not a question. More of a statement. In other words, you will take home eggs, right?
She hasn't had any eggs for the last few months (a nice reprieve). But, when I was there a few weeks ago, as I was leaving she said it.
"Here, Stace, you need eggs."
I really didn't.
Am I the only one in the family who dislikes these brown eggs? They're terrible to peel (I guess because they're so fresh). I'm always afraid to scramble them (for fear they may be bad). And, I'm afraid to use them for baking (I guess for the same reason).
I've eaten them, and all the Vaughts (and all the extended Vaught clans, friends of Vaughts and anyone who visits Granny when she has eggs) eat them. To my knowledge, nobody has ever gotten sick. Allie said the trick is to put them in water. If they float to the top, they're no good. I have tried this and thrown out a few.
I am exaggerating a bit about disliking the farm eggs- I do eat them. They really are good; not to mention, they save us money on groceries. But, I have to admit, they do creep me out a little. Not sure why, but they do. (Shhh, don't tell Greg and Julie- or Granny!)
So, when she asked if I needed eggs; of course, I did.
I'd use them to dye Easter eggs!!
Turns out, farm eggs aren't good for dyeing Easter eggs.
Oh my.
Kind of a big fat Easter egg dyeing FLOP. Not kinda. Just one
BIG.
FAT.
FLOP.
The dye crumbled off, they reeked of vinegar, and you couldn't even touch them without dyeing your fingers.
I'm not sure what's funnier- Granny forcing farm eggs on everyone who visits her; the fact that I thought I could use the farm eggs to dye as Easter eggs; or, the farm eggs themselves. I have a feeling the chickens at Meadowbrook are laughing away (while laying more and more eggs for Greg to deliver to Granny).
Oh my.
Anyone, need eggs?
| Here are the eggs they decorated at MOPS. |
| And, this is a pretty Easter picture they created at church. |
| Happy Easter, Everyone! |
No comments:
Post a Comment