Monday, April 29, 2013

Springtime...at the park

There's so much I love about spring.

I love opening the windows and letting in the fresh air. I love seeing the tulips pop up in the yards throughout our neighborhood. I love the smell of fresh cut grass and how everyone is out and about riding their bikes, enjoying a walk, playing ball in the yard- all so sunny and cheerful!

I love cleaning off the outdoor furniture and enjoying that first meal on the deck. I love wearing sandles and capris, wondering how many more days I have left before I'll need to start applying sunscreen to my little ones. I love throwing on a light jacket and not having to worry with heavy coats (not that we ever really wear coats much anyway).

I love all these things and more.

One of my very favorite things about spring has to be trips to the park.

The pictures below are from one of our trips last week to Braemar Park, one of our favorite neighborhood parks, a few miles down the road in Bristow. We like it because of the equipment; but also because it has a big soccer field, which is perfect for running (we go there in the winter sometimes just to run around and get some fresh air). And, it's usually a pretty "busy" park, which makes it good for finding friends!

Here lately Anabella has really been into making new friends.  I can always tell when she's eyeing a potential playmate. She'll follow them for a while, then quietly ask them their name. If they respond, next comes the question:

You want to play with me?

Or, sometimes she'll be more specific.

You want to play hide and seek with me?
You want to swing with me?

It's sweet.

And, it works. The next thing I know, she's running around the playground with a new little playmate.

On this particular day, at Braemar Park, here's what happened:

Anabella (to her friend):  You want to see saw with me?

Her friend: (runs to the see saw following Anabella)

Daniel: I want to see saw! (running after Belle and her friend)

Mommy: (running after Dan as he runs after Belle and her friend) Dan, come over here    with Mommy; Belle wants to see saw with her friend.

Daniel: I'm Belle Belle's friend!

It was priceless.

With some quick thinking from Mommy, they all three managed to see saw and it was "more fun" that way anyway.

Whew.

Mostly though, Daniel is ok with Anabella making her friends. He's content to run around and have his own fun. Though, he does like to join in games of chase when there are older kids at the park. And, he likes hide and seek. Hearing him say, "I'm Belle Belle's friend," as if she had forgotten him (I love that he calls her Belle Belle) was just too funny!

Daniel and his "friend Belle Belle" on the see saw (pre-Belle making her friend)

The 2 friends on the swings

They love swinging this way!

Daniel finds sticks at all the parks. Even at parks without trees.
(ha- our parks all have trees, but if they didn't, he'd still find a stick!)
Here he is poking a "nest" with his stick (showing his friend Belle Belle). 



Belle and her "friend" Sophia on the see saw- notice that they both are
sitting the same way. :) That's what friends do- imitate each other. 

Here's Anabella showing her friend how fun it is to swing on your belly.

The only bad thing about becoming fast friends with 3 & 4 year olds is that they
have short attention spans. Here's Anabella hiding in between the bushes.
Only she'd been there a while as I think her friend sorta forgot to come find her.
Good thing she has Daniel (and Mommy) as friends, too.




This little guy was my "friend" of the day!

He is a nice friend.
Willing to share his stick.
But not his oatmeal cream pie..





Help! I'm falling!












Looking forward to more fun times at the park this week (rain rain go away, please).


1 comment:

  1. Dan's personality really shows in this post. Love it! How cute that he is Belle Belle's friend and wants to make sure people know.

    ReplyDelete