Thursday, April 24, 2014

Pre-Easter

One of my favorite childhood memories of Easter is dyeing Easter eggs. While I tried to continue the tradition with Dan and Belle last year, I'd used farm eggs (brown eggs), and ended up with nothing more than a big, fat mess.

Needless to say, I was pretty excited when Allie "snapchatted" me a picture of Neon Easter Egg dye and asked if I'd like to get the kids together to dye some Easter eggs this year.  Have you heard of "snap chat"? I hadn't until Allie asked me to join. It's an app where you snap pictures and talk via "snaps." I can't quite figure it out. Allie laughed when I sent her a text and asked why I couldn't send a message without a picture- "that's the point, silly," she said.

Anyway, the night before Easter we loaded up our Easter baskets and headed to Allie's house for dinner and some Pre-Easter fun. Allie and Eric made us a delicious lasagna dinner, and it was nice to spend time with everyone before Easter day, which tends to get a little hectic up at Granny's with all the family in and out.  Aunt Cindy was in town for Easter, so she and Granddaddy Bull were there, too. Mom brought Granny with her, and Dad met us there after work.

Mom brought some goodies to fill Easter eggs, so after dinner, we had ourselves a little Easter egg hunt in the front yard.








Having only hunted for empty eggs in the past, Dan and Belle were opening the eggs as soon as they'd find one. Hey, these eggs are filled! Everyone got such a kick out of watching them. 


Here's Dan trying to blow up a balloon he found in an egg. While some had candy, I was glad they weren't all filled with candy (particularly since they thought they were supposed to eat it as soon as
they found it). The balloons and whistles were both big hits. (Awww, man, I think we mighta accidentally forgotten our whistles!.)



After the egg hunt, it was time to dye some eggs!

Before we knew it, Allie had covered the table and gotten everything set up for us. 





The funny thing about this was that both Granny and I brought eggs.  Two cartons of Market Pantry eggs (they were on sale at Target for .99; great minds do think alike!).  The only difference was that mine were boiled and Granny's were not.  

It wasn't until one cracked a little that we realized Allie had accidentally gotten out the wrong carton.

Oops.  

It was a good laugh.






Allie thought Princess Sophie might like to get in on the action. 



Erica joined us and liked my chocolate cake.
We were pooped out by the time we got home that night, but fortunately I had everything pretty much ready for the next day.

We just had to hurry to bed so the Easter Bunny could get those baskets and eggs hidden! 

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know what snap chat is either. I can't even get photos on my phone. Old school, I know.

    Anyway, I like coloring eggs too but get so anxious about the mess. I guess this too will pass as the kids get bigger.

    ReplyDelete