Monday, August 11, 2014

Burke Lake Park

Burke Lake Park is definitely one of my favorite places in Northern Virginia. My first memory of it is with my good friend Mary. She and I used to walk the lake (approx. 5 miles around, I believe) after school and on weekends when we were both teachers at Irving MS. I remember walking it a lot just for fun, but then even more when I was training for the Avon Breast Cancer Walk in 2004.

Then, once I met Chip, he and I went canoeing there on one our first dates. We've also had picnics there both alone and with Ryan & Hayden when they'd come stay with us. We even played frisbee golf there one Labor Day before school started.

When we lived in the Burke townhouse, we were only a few miles away, but now that we're in Prince William, Burke Lake is a good half hour to 45 minute drive.

Despite the drive, we still make at least one, if not two, trips a year. We always drive by the townhouse (I need to get a picture next trip) and usually have dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant. The one we used to frequent once a week when I was pregnant....ha...okay, once a week even before I was pregnant.  

Yep, lots of good memories of Burke Lake.  And, hopefully lots more to come. Seems our two little people really like Burke Lake Park too.

Check out one of our earlier trips there back in August of 2012



The first thing we did was buy tickets for the train since it makes its last round just before 6pm, and it was already a little about 5:30 pm. I was laughing at Chip for giving us the countdown warning, 15 minutes, 10 minutes, okay, guys, 5 minutes till the train ride. At the five minute mark, we headed towards the train (just across from the playground where we were playing maybe 60 feet away) only to hear it blow its horn and then immediately take off! Just as we were walking towards it. 5 minutes early!! On our phones, which are always accurate, it was 5:41 pm when the train left the station. It was supposed to leave at 5:45pm. We figured the ringing was the warning bell that it was time to load, so you can imagine our shock as we saw it take off.

Talk about disappointment. Chip and I even more than the kids (parent guilt). They handled it in stride (after a few tears from Anabella), but we quickly turned our attention to another fun adventure- one of the park's other playgrounds. We stored our unused tickets in the glovebox of the van so that we'll have them for next trip. Good reason to return in the fall, right?

As you can see there were plenty of smiles even without the train ride. Here we are at the park across from the railroad station (playing while waiting to be left behind by the train):

This is the first time she's ever gone done a pole.

Steady there, girl, don't go getting too big on us. 













Love this little climber boy!

























Dan loved climbing this








Here's some shots we took while waiting for the train to return. When it did return, sure enough the conductor said it was the last trip of the day. "Left right at 5:45pm," he said.  We know that wasn't the case, but hey, that's okay, the train will still be there next time.










Playground #2 (near the picnic grounds):







We took this picture & sent it to Ryan. We have a picture of him on this dolphin when he was probably the same age as the kids are now. All stretched out, hands behind his back, just smiling away. 







Dan always liked hanging on bars at The Little Gym.
















Monkey See
Monkey Do
Hey, look,
Me too!!









She's got him right where she wants him.
You go, girl!



To the van and off to the main attraction- the lake:


I know they're big enough for boosters and look a little too big for these carseats (though they hold up to 65 lbs.), but I feel like they're just so much safer in these. Plus, they can buckle themselves in now. We do have boosters in our other vehicle and will probably update the van come fall. Boo hoo, I don't want my babies to grow out of car seats. Nooooooo!!  






















Hopefully see ya sometime this fall, Burke Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment