I cannot even believe it's been five years already that the twins have vacationed at Lake Gaston! Five years! I know they're only four, so I had to do the math because it didn't seem possible, but sure enough Chip was right- it's been five years. In 2010, they were only 6 months old and spent most of their time indoors, but every year since they've spent more and more time outside and been able to do more each year.
For example this year, they jumped off the boat without hesitation. Last year they needed a little coaxing, and I always wanted either myself or another adult to be in with them. While I still wanted somebody in the lake with them this year too, I was okay with one of the bigger kids (Ryan, Erika, Alyssa or Hayden) to be in there with them when they jumped.
Sadly, Chip didn't get to spend as much time with us this year because he had to work, but he did make it down for the last couple days.
Mom, Dad and Granny met me in Gainesville, and Dad drove our van so that they could leave their car for Chip to meet us later. Made it nice for the return trip to only have one vehicle. And, the kids enjoyed riding down with them. We made great time, and I was so proud of them for being such good little travelers- they asked a few times about how much farther, but overall they were content to chat away and then to watch a movie. Believe it or not, neither of them even asked for a bathroom stop on our 3.5 drive there. I'm pretty sure (okay fairly certain) Allie and I never did that!
When we arrived, Allie and her family were already there and out on the boat. We made such good time, I don't think they were expecting us so soon. Shortly after we got unloaded, they arrived and we all hung out by the dock until time for dinner. Aunt Allie took Dan and Belle both out for jet ski rides.
Dan didn't want me getting his picture!
I was surprised little Miss Priss here was as willing to go along on her first jet ski ride. I think I remember her not liking the jet ski much last year.
This picture cracks me up- look at Dan's face as he scoots as far from Alyssa as he possibly can on the float. We all had fun on this float even though it was just floating by the dock most of the time.
All smiles on her way out and on her way back in. Though Allie said this clapping was a bit for show as she wouldn't let her go over 20 mph once they were out.
She agreed to go back out as long as Aunt Allie took her the "same slow and same close to the house."
Our first night at the lake was Maw's birthday! What a great way to celebrate her big day!
Hayden, like Daniel, did not want me photographing him. He's always so sweet playing with the twins, I couldn't not take his cute little picture.
When Hayden wasn't out on the water, fishing by the dock, or playing in the sand, he was paddling this here canoe like he'd been doing it for years. I was so impressed with how well he maneuvered it. Never once took a tipping, and he was always there to rescue whatever might have accidentally ended up in the lake (like D and A's super splasher toys that fell a time or two).
Day 2: We woke up and had ourselves a good ol' Lake Gaston breakfast. While we were cleaning up, and preparing to take a boat ride, the kids enjoyed Play Doh.
I brought this along last year too, and the kids really enjoyed it.
Granny brought her Kindle this year. How about this picture of her and Anabella engrossed in their technology at the lake? What's wrong with this scene?! Get off those computers, girls!
Finally....time for a boat ride! It was overcast that morning and had been sprinkling on and off so we were waiting for the weather to clear before heading out.
Dan couldn't jump in that lake fast enough. No fear this year. A few days later, he was jumping in backwards (which I quickly squelched). I try to be as laid back as possible at the lake (since it IS vacation and also so that Allie doesn't make too much fun of me), but jumping backwards from the boat at 4 years old, I did have to put my foot down. Dan Credle is fearless, I tell ya! He needs his cautious mama to be a cautious mama!
Anabella was excited to take her first jump, too. She never did ask to jump backwards (thank goodness).
I was glad Erika wanted to get in there with them. I jumped in a little later, but man, that water was COLD!
Of all my lake pictures, this is my favorite.
Dad joined us on the jet ski.
The boat was having some issues (it's an old boat and has been on the brink the last couple years; we were fair warned) so we had to be pulled back in with the jet ski. It was a hilarious ride as the water from the jet ski kept spraying us. It was so funny I tried to capture some of it with my phone.
Back at home with no working boat, Captain Hayden took the kids out in his canoe.
We love getting silly on rib night!
Day 3: Erik spent most of the morning trouble shooting the boat before we finally called the marina and they sent someone to come work on it. We had two jet skis, a lake full of water, a raft, canoe, several fishing poles and a huge mound of sand....who needs a boat for entertainment? Good thing not us because they couldn't come until 5pm!
While the boys were busy fishing, Anabella had fun playing in the sand. Greg & Julie had two truckloads of sand delivered just before we got there. One load had already been spread, while the other load was still in a huge mound up by the house. They had so much fun playing in the sand mound. I don't know how I didn't manage to get a single picture of it. That is, of course, until our last day there when the guy came to spread it; the kids got a kick out of watching that too.
While the older kids were out on the float, which Allie had attached to the jet ski, Dad got in the water with Daniel and Anabella so that they could have some time in the lake too. The water is pretty murky right by the dock, so you have to walk out a little ways to really swim. After seeing a snake in the water earlier that day, I wasn't about to put my foot in that water; but I didn't have the heart to tell the kids they couldn't. And, Dad's never been one to be scared of snakes so he was happy to oblige.
I brought the kids in early that evening to get them showered and ready for Daddy who was set to arrive just in time for dinner- his favorite- seafood night! While I showered, these three nested in bed with some popcorn and a little TV. Aren't they cute?
All cleaned up and back out to do a little fishing....Anabella was happy that Daddy brought her fishing pole from home.
All that fishing and wouldn't you know someone caught a fish! It wasn't Erik though, it was his daughter, Alyssa.
I left my camera by the dock when we went up to feed the kids and get them in bed. This was one of the nights they went to bed before we had dinner- we eat late at the lake. I did feed them, of course, I just put them down before we ate. Seeing as they were getting up at 7am regardless of their bedtime, and of course not napping during the day, they needed an early night to get caught up on some sleep. Anyway, back to Allie. Bad Allie (she is bad) had fun with my camera while I was gone. Here's ONE of the thirty or so pictures she took.
Stay tuned....more Lake Gaston pictures coming soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment