We were so excited when the Credles suggested that they take us to New York as our Christmas gift this year. Um, yes please!!
The last time Chip and I were in New York was the first weekend in December 2008, and besides our honeymoon, it ranks right up there as one of our best trips ever.
I was especially excited about taking the train as I've never traveled via the train before, and the kids were excited too as they've never traveled any way but car before! Chip was excited, too, just to be traveling with his family, and the Credles were excited because we were all excited. Man, we were one chipper bunch that Monday morning when we left Gainesville at 7am!
 |
| Union Station, Washington D.C. |
 |
| Dan was so cute insisting that he tug along his Trunkie, while also toting his not-so-light backpack. |
 |
| We left so early, we waited until we got there for breakfast just in case there was traffic. |
 |
| McDonald's |
 |
| Chip and I waited in line for the train (there's no assigned seating like planes) while the kids and the Credles walked around and got these great photos. |
We were some of the first people on the train as they seated families first to be sure we could sit together. It was a little unnerving that we literally walked right onto the train with no security checks, no metal detectors, come to think of it, we didn't even have to show anyone our ticket until the conductor came by once the train was in motion. Given what you have to go through to board a plane these days, I couldn't believe it. But, I must say it was so nice. So completely stress free. And, reassuring to know the luggage was right there with us in the overhead bins. They were large enough to accommodate it, too. Plenty of space, unlike the cracker box bins on airplanes. I could get used to this mode of travel.
 |
| The kids could hardly wait to pull those trays down and get in their backpacks. New bear and yeh yeh were brought out right away, of course. |
 |
| I was pretty prepared for the trip. Had the kids each pack a backpack with some cards, books. coloring books, crayons, LeapPads, etc. Plenty of snacks & water, even packed ham sandwiches for lunch on the train. Homemade cookies, check. Remembered the kids' vitamins, check. Rain boots and umbrellas since they were calling for rain. Yep, I had thought of it all. Or so I thought. Until we got out of the van at the train station, and I couldn't find my overnight bag. Of all things! Yep, somehow in that Home Alone morning of getting 6 people and their luggage into the van, we somehow left my overnight bag (packed and ready) at home. No eyeglasses, no toothbrushes (plural since I also had the kids), no make-up, no jewelry, no brush. Good thing I don't take any medication or else that would have been left behind as well. Oh my. |
 |
Eh, what's an overnight bag?! We were going to NYC! What else can you do but laugh it off, right?! That, and hit up Walgreens in Times Square for some overpriced toothbrushes, and through clenched teeth, buy the bare essentials to make it through 2 days. Thank goodness for the lipstick in my purse and the "blush" I come by naturally, I didn't have to invest in much more than some contact lens supplies and deodorant (which Chip had to get the next morning because I forgot). The hardest thing was not having my eyeglasses. |
 |
| First view of the city from the train. |
 |
| We left Union Station at 9:19am and arrived to Penn Station at 12:39pm. The trip went by so fast. The kids were SO good. They occupied themselves with the stuff from their backpacks, took a few walks around the train (another train perk), and before we knew it, we were there! |
 |
Waiting for our Uber driver to take us to the hotel. The trunkies that Sara picked for the kids a few years ago came in very handy this trip! |
 |
| They look like little hitchhikers, don't they?! |
 |
| How in the world did Michael know that we were in NYC?!! |
 |
| Hello, Times Square! |
 |
Hello, characters of Times Square! Oh my. Two things I don't remember from our 2008 trip: 1. being bombarded in Times Square by characters seeking tips 2. animated store window displays. |
 |
| Look at Elmo trying to squeeze his way in! He did not get a tip. I had no idea they were seeking tips until Clifton warned me, but at that point it was too late; I was already snapping the picture. Fortunately, I had some singles, so I let the kids give them each a buck. But not Elmo. Sorry big guy. We smartened up after this, and only let the kids pose with characters they REALLY liked. |
 |
| Obligatory photo of where the ball drops on New Year's Eve. |
They were calling for rain the next two days, so we decided to do the city bus tour first, since the Statue of Liberty was a priority, given that it was the kids' first trip.
 |
| And, if you do the Sightseeing double decker bus tour you MUST sit on the top deck! Fortunately for us, it was very mild that day. When Chip and I were there in 2008, it was COLD. But, we were tough and sat up top anyway. You have to. Be tough, that is. (heeheee) |
 |
Obligatory top deck double decker bus selfie (One Way sign in the background along with Times Square adds bonus points) |
Our city tour included a water taxi ride where we got an amazing view of the city and the Statue of Liberty. It was the perfect time of day for pictures, but because of that, it was also starting to get a little chilly. And windy.
 |
| Chip is always good at keeping these two entertained! They had done so great up to to this point, but they were getting cranky waiting for the boat to arrive (it did seem to take forever). |
 |
| We needed a selfie stick! |
 |
This cracks me up! Our cheerful, almost always smiley girl pouting, what?! |
 |
| Ha! These are the pictures you can't wait to show them when they return as teenagers. |
 |
| There's that smile! |
 |
| I think there was some bribing to get this picture. With what, I'm not sure. |
 |
| Priceless. |
 |
| This is one of my favorite pictures from the trip. |
 |
| Daniel kept complaining he was cold, yet he didn't want to go inside and leave the back of the boat because he was mesmerized by the water. |
 |
When we exited, Anabella saw this and said she wanted to get a picture! Cutie pie!! |
 |
| Back in Times Square |
 |
| Anabella is really into Minions right now, so we couldn't pass up this photo op. |
 |
| Can you ever really get enough selfies in Times Square on your first day in NYC?! |
That evening we had a nice dinner at an Italian restaurant called
Orso, just off Times Square in the theatre district. Having eaten a ham sandwich on the train just before noon, we were all ready to sit down and refuel after a busy afternoon.
 |
| Spiderman?! Ok, you can't pass up a Spiderman picture. You just can't. |
 |
| And....the Grinch! You can't pass up the Grinch either. Daniel went nuts when he saw the grinch. "The Grinch," he squealed, "the grinch, the grinch!" |
 |
| Look at those Grinch faces! |
The kids were pretty worn out that evening, so we called it a night around 9pm. Chip really wanted to go back out, and the Credles, who are always so accommodating, came to our room and stayed with the kids (while they slept) while we back out for a little while.
 |
| We didn't get too wild and crazy. We walked around a little and then got a soda (Chip got a chocolate shake) from McDonalds, sat in the middle of Times Square, ate McDonald's french fries and just people watched. It was fun! |
What a fun first day in NYC!!!
Soooo much fun!
ReplyDeleteI especially love the pics of Dan with the grinch. Dave and I have talked about visiting NY ourselves...but we were thinking more just the two of us. ;)
ReplyDelete