As I was scrolling through my newsfeed on Facebook last Friday morning while the kids were at preschool (I was so much more productive pre-FB), I came across a recipe for homemade playdough that looked really fun. Three ingredients: conditioner, cornstarch and food coloring.
Since I had all those ingredients on hand, and I knew the kids would enjoy it, we gave it a try Friday afternoon.
First step: 1 cup of conditioner
 |
| These were half bottles of conditioner, so they got quite the kick out of the lovely sounds they made emptying the bottles. |
 |
| Poura, poura, poura |
Step 2: adding the corn starch
 |
| Mixa, mixa, mixa |
 |
| Stira, stira, stira |
Step 3: adding the food coloring
 |
| We had four colors on hand (red, yellow, green and blue), and while they started with two colors, they ended up adding a little of each because they wanted to see what it would like like with all the colors. |
 |
| Kneading the dough |
 |
| This little gal loves learning new words, and since I was using the word "knead," explaining that they needed to "knead the dough," she kept saying, "I'm kneading the dough," "I like kneading the dough," "Dan, do you like kneading the dough"......you kinda had to be there, but it was cute to hear her proudly practicing her new word. |
 |
| In case you've ever wondered, red, yellow, green and blue food coloring mixed together= green. |
 |
| Green tea anyone? |
 |
It was messy, but worth it.
|
I'm not sure I'll ever be rushing to do this again, and if I do, I'll definitely do a few things differently (like cover the table and floor), but nevertheless, I'll count this as a success. The kids had a blast, and while it was a mess to clean up, it sure did smell good. And, Anabella finally got her wish. She's been asking to make playdough since she brought some home from Daytime Playtime last year.
We put ours in the fridge (like we did what she brought home last year), but unlike the dough from DTPT, ours didn't keep quite as well. It was crumbly and hard to "knead" when we got it a few days later. It's still in there (in dishes they packed with tight lids) but we haven't used it again. But who doesn't need more green glob in their fridge, right?!
No comments:
Post a Comment