Friday, June 26, 2015

Dance Recital






The recital started at noon at Patriot High School in Brentsville, which is where the kids will graduate if we still live in Bridlewood (unless, of course, they build another HS by then!).

Belle and I had to arrive early by 11:30am. I did her make-up and hair before we left. Can I just say that  I did not like putting make-up on my 5 year old. But, apparently it's recital protocol as it helps them be seen better while up on stage. I refused to do mascara (or fake lashes like some do- are you kidding me?), but I did put some blush, eye shadow and bright lipstick on her. As much as I disliked it, she LOVED it.  I mean really loved it.

Daddy took some pictures of his ballerina getting all dolled up (but he didn't like her wearing make-up either):

Google made this nice collage. Her hair had to be in a bun for ballet. It's hard to get her hair in a bun because it's a little short, but I did my best. There were plenty of stray hairs floating around, but it gave it character, and I really doubt anyone (except me) noticed. 

We're ready! 

I could tell she was a little nervous, but thankfully once she was dressed and with her little friends, she was back to her happy-go-lucky self. I'm not sure if moms weren't allowed to stay until the ballerinas went on to stage or what, but all the other moms got their daughters dressed and said their good-byes, so that's what I did, too. Albeit begrudgingly.



I'd like to say I was like all the other moms and sat in the auditorium and enjoyed the performance until her group came on stage, but I mustn't lie.  I was worried she'd start crying or need me or something and they wouldn't be able to find me, so I periodically, between acts,  walked back to the entrance and peered down the hallway, where she was seated with her group, just to make sure she was okay. The man whose wife owns the studio was manning the station at the hallway entrance (the person who was accompanying the ballerina to the dressing room had to get a special bracelet to let them in). He saw me coming back in and checking on my girl while she was waiting to go on stage, so I finally decided to go ahead and voice my concern about her needing me.  I doubt I'm the first mom to every do this. He calmly reassured me that he'd come get me if need be, but that he was sure she would do just fine. 



And.....sure enough, she did! When I returned after her performance, he asked how she did and gave me a thumbs up when I told him she did great. 




When I left for her tap performance, I checked back in again a few times....and each time he just grinned.  On my way back in after her second performance, he again asked how she did and told me to be sure to have her stop by on our way out.


As we were about to leave the "dressing wing," look who we found roaming the "off limits except for dancers"area. Hadley Jayne! With Aunt Sharon, who I suppose is just so innocent and trustworthy looking, that she granted herself a yellow (parent of dancer) wristband!  Could they have thought Hadley was the dancer? Anyway, the four of us checked in with Mr. Hayes on our way "out," and I'm sure he found it quite comical when he asked Anabella if she was nervous before her performance and she very definitively told him "no." As if he hadn't already labeled me the "crazy mama," I'm pretty sure at this point, he did! ha! He gave both Anabella and Hadley lollipops and sent us on our way. Fairly certain he'll remember us when we return to the studio next year. Yep, I'm "that" mom. 

Mom & Granny left the auditorium along with Hadley and Aunt Sharon following Anabella's tap performance, so they met us as we reached the non-dancers hallway. I'm surprised they didn't try to "sneak" in like Aunt Sharon.

Maw gave Anabella a pair of gold earrings as her recital gift. 


Shortly after, Dad, Dan and PaPa joined us, and everyone congratulated the ballerina girl.  Then, a few minutes later, Chip and MaMa exited the auditorium.

Chip had a bouquet of flowers for his little girl, and I am so glad I was able to capture a bit of this priceless display with the camera on my phone. It was beyond sweet.












She went around and had everyone smell them. 
On our way out, we did some group pictures:

The only person Belle wanted to get a picture with was her Hadley girl! 



Dan was cranky about pictures at this point, and I can't say I blame him as it was blazing hot!
We got a family picture with the Credles who were also there, but Clifton accidentally erased it. 

Dan had a birthday party at 4pm, so Chip took him to that (as it was almost 4pm by the time we left), and Anbella and I came back to the house with MaMa & PaPa and got her flowers into some vases.  She was very adamant about doing it herself, so I let her do as much as she could, even picking the vase. She actually picked two. One for her room and one for the kitchens.

Picking the flowers for the vase in her room.
 That night was a crazy one weather wise, with tornado warnings lighting up our phones as much as the lightning was lighting up the sky. We ended up retreating to the basement, and it's a good thing we did because even though we were safe in our neighborhood, there was a confirmed tornado that hit only a few miles from us, causing considerable damage. And, a home that caught fire confirmed by lightning just a few neighborhoods from us.

Coming up from the basement, look at this beautiful rainbow protecting out neighbors' home! 

Solomon said he didn't think it was very nice that nobody bought him a recital ticket. He said he knows how to sit just as nicely as we do and would sit in an auditorium very respectively. 

"I love Anabella just as much as any of you," he commented.
"Next time I would like to come, too."  
 So that's it for the 2015 recital. So proud of my girl! She wants to continue with just ballet in the fall, though I'm going to try to convince her to give tap another year, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment